1.11.2010

"Too Loud a Solitude"

"For thirty-five years now I’ve been in waste paper, and it's my love story."


The opening line from one of my favorite books of all time.  A story about a Czech laborer whose job it is to compact waste paper - consisting of books, prints (as in lithographs of famous artworks) encyclopedias and whatever else the Communist era government determines is unnecessary or prohibitive.   The title character rescues what he can from the heaps of papers and reads: "Because when I read, I don't really read; I pop a beautiful sentence in my mouth and suck it like a fruit drop, . . ."


This is the perfect read for lovers of leftover paper!  You are welcome to borrow my well worn, underlined copy of Too Loud a Solitude by author Bohumil Hrabel, but you'll probably want your own copy to underline and reread over and over again.







No comments:

Post a Comment